Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Metcalf Street, Honolulu, Hi.



Before buying this house, I went there alone, and sat across the street getting the feelings from the place. I was centering myself, before making the commitment of buying a place with the last $25,000. I had from the life insurance payoff to put down. I could put 10% down s I had to pay PMI for three years because I didn't have the 20% down which is customary for down payments. There are rules for no longer having to pay Mortgage insurance which have to do with debt ration and home value and if you have paid on time for the length of the loan.
Again, I showed Stephen and his brother the house and they were pretty silent about the whole idea. There was a lot of termite damage under the house. Actually, the termites had eaten and left already. There was an abandoned VW bus in the yard full of stuff. And, come to find out there were people with their dog living under the house that my realtor Myron had to shoo out. He also moved the car out of the front yard.
David was my contractor and he made me have the green shingles removed by hazard masked guys because it was 2% non friable asbestos. Warren who worked a the ship yard told me I did not have to remove them as long as we didn't disturb them the asbestos was no threat. However, David said his men would be nailing into it. So I paid $4000. for the removal and stayed clear from the place while it was being done. David replaced evey footing under the house and repaired some of the redwood tough and groove walls. Bathroom walls were waterproofed and new plumbing for the whole house by Roto Rooter($5000.).
The house was painted white by a woman and her crew, Stephen painted the screens and replaced tiles on the floor. We had to repaint every room inside the house as well and put in new lighting fixtures and some mahogany doors in the bedroom

No comments: