Thursday, September 9, 2010

So I have made a Circle


I moved to Hawaii in 1966 with my husband Bob, his first job was at the University of Hawaii, Manoa for a three year contract. I had a BA in English Literature with a minor in Art History and he a Masters in English from the University of Connecticut, Storrs. We lived in Manoa at University Faculty housing on Dole street in a studio apartment. It was small but, we managed. We could afford it after looking in Waikiki which we could not afford.
We lived in a rented house in Manoa before moving to Monrovia, Liberia at the end of three years. Our house there looked like the tailfin on a Cadillac. I began a small business of dress designing; I was a tie dye queen, had the dresses embroidered and sewn by the male Liberian tailors along the main road. Most of my clients were white embassy people from the US and France.
One of my friends from United just said I had come full circle and I wondered if I had published this in error. Well, I guess it is coming. Bonnie, just got the punch line. I will be interested to find others in the loop. Remember thinking my great aunt and uncle who had travelled the furthest in the world ended up at home, in Duxbury, Ma..
Manoa is where I live now, forty years later, where I started on Oahu. My favorite place on the island to live. I love the grassy sidewalks, the old big white houses and the tall, green trees that shade all of this. I wish I didn't have to leave the neighborhood.

No comments: