Friday, September 24, 2010

Remington Reality not Paul Brown Institute School for Beauty

Waited six weeks for my appointment, really looking forward to a day of me.
I went to have a haircut, pedicure and manicure on Wednesday. Drove downtown, parked at Alii Place and walked the walk. I've done this a dozen times.
Inside the school, the receptionist Tim was in back, stood for a while at the counter and the young girl from the school decided to help me. Looked at the list of names to do my hair and nails; didn't recognize the name. James was there and I have had a cut with him twice and a facial. A student took me to a young girl who then washed my hair in cold water and very hot water. I told her she could add pressure to her wash and she didn't nor did she wash the back of my head. Okay, it's over.
Went to have my hair cut in a bob, she then pinned my hair in two clips so I looked like my pigtails had just flown away. Next, she changed her approach to cutting an inch off my hair in the back by reconfiguring the clips. After thirty minutes and her teacher Maria swooping over for the third time talking in zeros I was loosing confidence in this whole ordeal. Maria( the teacher) asked her, " are these your best scissors?" I never heard the cut of scissors from the student. Maria did take two cuts.
Trying to figure out how to escape this girl with my hair intack, forty minutes later I said I needed to go to the ladies room. I went to Tim at the desk and confided in a low voice "I have no confidence in the girl cutting my hair," I don't know what to do. Tim said he would get a supervisor.
I saw him talking at length to a man in a bright blue shirt and short white hair whose name is Kevin. It looked like they were having an argument. It took a long time and I lost more confidence. I went up to the desk and asked what is going on, is he helping me I asked the young man sitting there, he said he didn't know?
My hair was dripping wet and the two clips stuck in my hair made me look like a cartoon character. Finally, the blue shirted man came over to me and sat down. He started talking to me very patronizing. Repeading over and over again, that I needed to understand this was a school. I felt he thought I was either deaf or dumb. He tried to get me to know him on a personal level but, I was so upset by this awkward situation I did not want to chat about his realtor experience on the mainland.
Things got worse after I put the problem in the schools hands, my haircut was finished by Tanya to perfection. She led me to my next manicure appointment where the manager of the salon Maria stopped me.
She told me I was not welcome to come back and that she had cancelled my manicure and pedicure because I had upset a student. Maria refused to hear my side of the story, told me if I wanted to talk to her, I would have to follow her around the office as I spoke. I said I would like to tell my side of the story, she refused.
I asked to speak to her superior and she said she had none. I said okay let me talk to Paul Brown, she said he had nothing to do with the school. I asked again who her supervisor was, she said well, I suppose you could talk to the President of Remington College. She didn't give me his name or phone number. Everyone had disappeared from the front desk.
Maria told me I had no right to get out of the first student's chair and it was wrong of me to not let her finish the cut. I really could not sit there longer. It was a train wreck.
I left after Tim and everyone abandoned their normal stations for "The Maria." Went to get my car and stopped to speak with the President of Remington College. He said his name was Ken, no last name given on the second request. Did not follow my story and gave me the fraternity handshake upon leaving; something like this isn't goodbye it is adios. Weird.
Ken said he would get back to me, I have waited two weeks for him to call me or write. He has not contacted me with a followup.
So now I wonder if Paul Brown whose name drew me there in the first place, and whose school I have bragged about to my friends for years has nothing to do with it as Maria said.
What happened to the instruction of this school? Is it now about learning abuse. Maria was abusive to me, and as an educator most destructive. She is teaching the student, a client is always wrong and if a difficult situation arises, kick the client out. As an instructor Maria is not instilling the confidence to her students required to do such a job. The first student was not ready for what Maria said anyone in the school could do. It was the faculty who put the student in that awkward position not me.
I learned from Maria that I should have said I was sick, left the salon and called later for an appointment with James. A request I did not know I could make but, learned from Maria, who also said I had made special requests before. Not true.
I will never go back to Remington, and I will try to tell everyone I know how horribly I was treated by Maria.


No comments: